Physiotherapy uses physical methods including manipulation, massage and exercise for the treatment of disorders, disease and injury as an alternative to surgery and medication. Physiotherapists are extremely well trained medical professionals offering treatments for physical issues resulting from disease, illness, injury and aging. The focus is on improving the individual’s quality of life through the use of various treatments to restore function or alleviate pain
In instances of disease or permanent injury, the goal is lessening the impact of the dysfunction.
Physiotherapy is conducted in different environments such as community health centers, hospitals, private practices, rehabilitation centers and fitness centers. Therapists can work with other medical professionals or alone.
The Important Role of Physiotherapy
The role of the physiotherapist is never the same one day to the next. The patient’s physical condition may need to be assessed for a determination of the issue and the implementation of the treatment plan, or the patient may need to be taught how to use crutches, wheelchairs or walking frames or be re-trained to walk, etc. The list of maladies and treatments stretches down the road and around the corner.
During the course of a career in physiotherapy, all different types of patients are treated. This includes individuals going through rehabilitation, the elderly, kids with cerebral palsy, pregnant women. athletes and individuals requiring help due to major surgery, strokes or heart disease.
The Specializations of Physiotherapy
The Calgary Muscle and Soft Tissue Clinic offers a wide variety of effective treatments for many different conditions. This often decreases the recovery time after a wide range of surgeries. There are different specialties in this field such as pediatrics, women’s health, children’s health and sports medicine. These parameters allow for three areas of practise. These are:
Neurological: This is for the treatment of nervous system disorders including spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis (MS), strokes, acquired brain injuries and Parkinson’s disease. Physiotherapy is also beneficial for the rehabilitation required after brain surgery.
Musculoskeletal: This is also referred to as orthopedic physiotherapy. This is used for the treatment of conditions including back pain, strains, bursitis, workplace and sports injuries, sprains, arthritis, decreased mobility, incontinence and posture issues. This category also includes the rehabilitation necessary after surgery.
Cardiothoracic: This is the treatment for emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma and other disorders related to cardio-respiratory.
Types of Therapy Available at Calgary Muscle and Soft Tissue Clinic
The treatment for every individual is customized according to their individual requirements. Physiotherapy Calgary will determine the correct type of therapy. This includes:
- Manual Therapies: This includes stretching, manual resistance training, spinal mobilization and joint mobilization.
- Exercise Programs: This includes cardiovascular training and stretching, posture retraining and muscle strengthening. We also offer up customized strength and conditioning programs from our Masters-trained coach to help you along the way.
There are often underlying factors responsible for the injury. A good example is the back pain resulting from activities related to work, excess weight, poor posture or using an incorrect technique while playing sports. This means in addition to treating back pain, the physiotherapist must also address the underlying factors. This is a holistic approach to decrease the risk of the injury being repeated.
Physiotherapy Calgary SW: Why We're Different
The Calgary Muscle and Soft Tissue Clinic will:
- Provide the same level of service and compassionate care received by professional athletes.
- Find an experienced and suitable therapist for you. This includes individuals who are recovering from surgery, were in a car accident, received an injury while at work or anybody suffering from a chronic injury.
- Conduct a complete pain assessment and physical for every patient. They will discuss their patient’s work, lifestyle, sports and history to make sure that the treatment is a perfect fit.
- Create a customized treatment plan including a road map for exercising on your own time to get the most out of your physiotherapy treatment.
The Benefits Of Physiotherapy At CMSTC
- A modern and friendly setting with top-of-the-line equipment best suited to addressing your needs.
- Treatment plans that are customized based on the needs, injury and pain for each patient.
- Convenient appointment times.
- Wide variety of specialists so that you are matched up with the expert that can treat you most efficiently.
- Our team is composed of professionls that are personable, experienced and highly trained.
Conditions Treated by the Calgary Muscle and Soft Tissue Clinic
Before anything else, we will sit down for a primary assessment. The first goal of the assessment is to locate the source of the complaint or pain to determine the contributing factors.
A working diagnosis is then produced to guide the care plan. The comprehensive treatment plan is developed according to the assessment. This is customized for the expectations and goals of each individual.
With that in mind, here are some of the conditions that we treat with physiotherapy in SW Calgary:
- General aches
- Arthritic conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis
- Rehabilitation from surgery
- Chronic pain
- Acute neck and back pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Sports injuries
- Injuries caused by repetitive stress
- Injuries resulting from a motor vehicle accident
- Soft tissue injuries including muscle strains, ligament sprains, plantar fasciitis, tendons and tears, tendonitis and bursitis and shin splints
- Post and pre-operative orthopedic conditions
- Degenerative issues such as spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease
- Pain, weakness, numbness or other symptoms from the impingement of nerves
Physiotherapy Near Me: Calgary SW
At the Calgary Muscle and Soft Tissue Clinic, we take pride in providing the best physiotherapy services in the Calgary SW region, and arguably the entire city. By providing physiotherapy to clients both near us, and around the region, our ultimate goal is to increase the overall well-being for our clientele.
Ready to get into the process? Book an appointment and we’ll see you soon!